The Greenbrier is a world class resort in White Sulphur Springs, WV that can trace its roots back to the late 18th century when travelers began to trek “up to the springs to take the waters” to restore their health. In the thirty years before the Civil War, it was widely recognized as the great summer social gathering place where the most powerful, wealthy and influential member of southern society annually congregated. Between 1838 and 1860, five sitting presidents visited the resort and they stayed in what was the best accommodation on the grounds at the time which is now the President’s Cottage Museum.
The museum opened in 1932 and is dedicated to telling the story of the Greenbrier. It features two rooms of oil on canvas murals painted in 1932 by William Grauer depicting the resort’s 19th century history. Additional exhibits illustrate the history of the 20th century resort.